Monday, March 26, 2007

The Book on Mary

My senior year in college I had a good friend who I didn't care to speak to before then.

I had only known Mary Dillon her by her politics and reputation. She was active in the college Republicans and the president of the pro-life group on campus - not a very popular position at our school. She ran for Student Association president junior year and I wouldn’t vote for her. She didn’t win.

I became friends with Mary Dillon (we always called each other by both names- I’m not sure why) the next year when she came to work at the campus TV station where I was program director. She had been a guest on our McLaughlin Group type show in the past and now she wanted to be a news reporter.

I’m sure in the beginning I was still a bit wary of her. I saw her as a prude, a Reagan era conservative. Somehow I thought that these things mattered to our life on campus. I’m sure Mary Dillon accepted me right away. That’s just the kind of person she was- kind and open, funny and hardworking. I soon found out that she wasn’t a stuck-up ideologue I had imagined but actually more fun than most people I knew in school. She was up for almost anything: a basketball game, dinner, a party. She would always have one more drink with me at the local bar if we thought a party had ended too early.

During one of those drinks I told her that I hadn’t voted for her. I don’t remember the discussion exactly, but I know she must have been a bit hurt. Of course she didn’t hold it against me. My image of her had changed so totally from a kind of scary “other” with views I found laughable or dangerous (Star Wars?, trickle down economics?) into one of my most trusted friends.

Of course I saw immediately what a great student leader she would have been. Much better than the fraternity brother who won election mostly on, well…being a fraternity brother. Mary Dillon’s political ideas would not have affected our campus too much - she wouldn’t have had the power or desire to say, remove the funding from the pro-choice group on campus. I was not alone in seeing campus politics like national politics. We didn’t want the best person for the job, but the person we agreed with the most.

I can’t help thinking of Mary Dillon and morals together. Both the kind she held and the kind she taught me. I don't mean to say she changed my mind on any topics - nor did she try to. She taught me to change how I viewed people – not politics. The real lesson here was to go a bit deeper, beyond the simple caricature you have in your head. In college they were teaching us how to become independent, questioning thinkers. From Mary Dillon I learned not to judge a book by its’ cover.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Nice work, again. What I liked most about it was how real the relationship felt and yet, the story was so brief. Also, what you learned from the experience was striking. Had you been aware of that prior to writing the piece? The piece had a nice flow also, with the gems sort of spilling out naturally one to the next.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home