Saturday, October 28, 2006

Pushing Forty

Yes, that's how one of my supposed friends put it when the subject of my birthday came up a few weeks ago. I don't like to think of it that way- I prefer to say I am entering my late thirties. My birthday was last week - October 25 for future reference for those of you who forgot. And you know who you are. A few of my good friends were out of town so they can be forgiven. In fact I find the best birthday strategy is stretching it out as long as you can. If you have a party that'll probably be it - but if you're clever you can have three or four dinners and lunches in the week surrounding your birthday. People are nice to you all week- like its your own private Holiday season. (One of my birthday dinners was covered in Todd's Blog - www.alcibiades.blogspot.com) I was also treated to a great Paul Simon concert with my Aunt Terry and cousin Emily. He sounds great and he's pushing 70. Dad and Susan took me, Alex and Missy out to a great Cuban restaurant on my actual birthday. Mom was good for a dinner before she left on her cruise. She says she still owes me a gift too- and who am I to say no.

My brother Alex has a big birthday coming up - thats right four-oh. Or leaving his extreme late thirties as he might want me to put it. Turning Forty probably won't bother Alex too much - he's already lost most of his hair so that's not something he's worried about. There will be a party for him, but I think he is also milking this one appropriately. He has already been at two of MY three birthday dinners (so far). I don't know if I'll be able to get the gift he probably really wants - Sorry, I just don't think the Flyers are going to win the Cup this year. And of course the Super Bowl is probably out of the question too. Maybe I'll get him something with a Trout on it as usual.

So don't forget Alex's birthday November 10th. If you already forgot mine, don't worry I am probably free for lunch or dinner this week. Maybe you could treat me to a nice sandwich.
I will also accept beer and cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home