Thursday, September 01, 2005

Modern football fan's dilemma

My favorite part of the year is the fall. The crisp weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday (and - new this year - my neice Rebecca's birthday) -but most of all Fall means football. Monday September 12 it starts for us. Eagles Vs. Falcons- Monday night football. Every week a new game, some amazing play you can't believe you just saw. Nothing on TV gets me as excited, nervous and sometimes angry. I sometimes have to be restrained and I usually disturb the neighbors with yelling and obscenities- and it gets worse if the Eagles are losing. Losing can really ruin the entire week. Thank god they don't do too much of that these days.

So Sunday afternoons in Fall are sacred. I am much more religious about football than I am about Judaism. It is one thing that I share with my father and brother. Alex and I are even kind of Superstitious when it comes to the Eagles. Last year we refused to go to our Dad's house to watch the NFC championship game because his house was 0-3 in that game in the last three years. Of course we made the mistake of going back there for the Super Bowl, but we don't talk about that.

So here's the problem. I have to go to a wedding. Well not really a wedding, really a commitment ceremony - my first one. My cousin Erica is getting hitched to her girlfriend Mayra on a Sunday in the Fall at 1 pm in the afternoon. Right at the start of a football game. Now, let me say right off that I strongly support gay marriage. If gay couples can adopt and raise children then why can't they get married? I also think it would stimulate the economy. Who would throw bigger weddings and go on better honeymoons than gay couples? Right now I think it is just a convenient divisive political issue used to mobilize the Christian Right and eventually it will be totally legal.

The only problem I have with gay marriage right now is that two women planning a wedding on a Sunday in the Fall did not take the Eagles schedule into account. That would have never happened if there was real guy involved in the planning- even if his only contribution was to check the football schedule. Now it is early in the football season, and I do love my cousin (she is just a second cousin), but I could miss the entire game, dammit. Is this a sneak a radio into the ceremony situtaion? Will there be a TV somewhere at the reception (I doubt it). I guess I'll go anyway. I kind of already said I would. I mean its not like its a playoff game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home