Thursday, September 29, 2005

Folk music post numbers 5 & 17

Yes, another post about Folk music, and Bob Dylan in particular. If you've been watching the Martin Scorcese PBS documentary over the last few days you could probably guess that he wouldn't like being called a folk singer or a protest singer or a rock singer or (later) a gospel singer. He has always been constantly changing. He seems to delight in confusing people about where he grew up, what his music is about and what he truly believes. That is his fun- and he knows that you don't stay popular for most of 45 years if you don't change it up.

I enjoyed the documentary very much. There weren't any huge revelations, just lots of little moments. I am very familiar with Dylan's music and story- I've read lots of books (his autobio included of course)
but I was still fascinated because Scorcese had access to so much amazing footage I had never seen before - especially the stuff of the infamous Newport Festival in '65 and the '66 English tour. I loved the footage of him playing "Mr. Tambourine Man" at a Folk festival workshop - like you were witnessing the birth of a classic. Seeing Suzie Rotolo interviewed was also cool- an album cover come to life (Suze is the girl clinging onto Bob on the "Freewheelin'" cover -for you uninitiated in Dylanania .

Dylan has been a legend in his own time since he was twenty-four. His iconic status is unquestioned. I know a lot of people don't like him, or more likely, don't like his voice. I feel sorry for them, but I don't really care - its not one of those things you can explain to someone. I've seen Dylan twice in my life and I don't think I'll ever go see him again. I'm afraid to lose the memory of the last time I saw him. Through the wonders of the internet I can tell you the exact date of the show and the songs he did. It was at the TLA here in Philadelphia, a small converted movie theater that only holds a few hundred people- a much different experience than seeing him among 100 thousand at JFK for Live Aid.
Bob was touring with the Grateful Dead that Summer and doing some side gigs at small places on "off" nights. Jessica, a friend of mine at the time, got the tickets and knew that I would never forgive her if she didn't take me. I'll always remember her for that (and the fact she would never give me a real shot at being her boyfriend - or whatever) It was June 22, 1995. I remember that I didn't know the first song and considering Dylan has written hundreds that was bound to happen that night. I was just hoping he played a few I knew. I did know the second song because I had heard the Dead play it many times- "It takes a lot to laugh it Takes a train to Cry" (There was a section in the Doc where someone talks about Bob re-writing this song during lunch one day). Then the third song- and I found out why he is still a legend. Dylan and his great band tore into "All Along the Watchtower". Spine tingling time. Really. This is a song made legendary by two guys. Dylan seemed to be bowing to Jimi by doing it more in his style than his own. I felt like I was witnessing history and I understood his presence and power. The next song I didn't know but it has become a favorite- "Shelter from the Storm" I had to go out and get a copy of it after the concert. The next song was my personal wish for the night and I thought it was a long shot that he would play it-
"Positively 4th Street". Some of you may know it is one of his most bitter songs and one of the best break-up songs ever. I guess I like his honesty in the lyrics - and you can sing along.

"You've got a lot of nerve / to say you are my friend /
When I was down you just stood there grinning"

"When you see me on the streets / You always act surprised /
You say 'How are you? Good luck'- but you don't mean it"

"I wish that for just one time you could walk inside my shoes /
You'd know what a drag it is to see you"

(All of those lyrics are from memory - now you know what I use my brain for)

Even more great songs came next including an acousitc "Mr Tambourine Man" and "Masters of War". I was in awe hearing these songs that meant so much to me even though many of them are older than I am. Of course I am a child of the '60's, but I spent them in diapers not at concerts and protests. The encore was "I Shall Be Released" , "My Back Pages" (I was so much older then - I'm younger than that now) and then "Like a Rolling Stone" This guy could just keep bringing out iconic songs all night. He was in great voice that night - in an era when his concerts were very hit and miss. Of course he has even put out a few great albums and won a few Grammy awards since that concert ten years ago. And his legend grows. No reason for me to go to see him again however- I've seen the Dylan I want to remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home