Saturday, September 17, 2005

Fall TV and the suspension of disbelief

Let me first say that I obviously watch too much TV. I have TIVO now so that I can tape things while watching things I already recorded. And I can watch them faster because I can skip the commercials. I don't have patience for commercials. I like when the new season starts because you can check the new stuff and see if it will become a new obsession. Can you believe that "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" are just a year old?
With all the cable channels and diversification these days, the new shows sometimes start (and end) during the Summer - a new second season (Shows I like such as "The Closer" and "Monk" are in this category.) But of course most of the good shows start up again in September and October.

One new show I've started to watch is "Prison Break". Now, I kind of like this show because its a mystery and its action and sort of a puzzle in the "DaVinci Code" kind of way. The basic plot is the brother of a Death-row inmate gets incarcerated too so he can break his brother out. This is a show where you have to take it with a large amount of salt. There are so many cliches and cop-outs on this show- I hope they don't start to annoy me and take away from the clever ideas. First of all, there don't seem to be many black people in this prison. Now its pretty much a reality that Blacks make up a huge proportion of our prison population. Their conviction rate is much higher and their chance of getting the death penalty is ten times higher (Our death row guy here is a white guy - who of course was set up in a vast government conspiracy). I suppose its political correctness that they don't want to stereotype the cons by race, but in this show all of the major players (save one hispanic guy) are white. The two brothers, white, the mobster inmate who is the leader of the prisoners and part of the escape plan, white, the inevitable evil assistant warden, white, the warden of course, white. Why not a bit more racial diversity here? A few other things that stretch credibility have also come up. The Death row inmate is allowed to be on a work squad with other inmates where he gets chances to talk to his brother. I can't believe that Death row inmates would be allowed among the general population and allowed a job to pass the time less than a month before their execution? Wouldn't that just be dangerous for everybody?? Another thing that the "authorities" just figured out is that these two guys are brothers. They have different last names, so that apparently fooled everyone. Wouldn't they have known about the family history of a high profile death row inmate?? (he allegedly "killed" the vice presidents' brother- what?) Maybe I can believe that out government can make an oversight like that. I could go on, but actually I still watch this show even though it is so far-fetched. Maybe I do watch too much. I'm trying to cut down. At least now I don't watch commercials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home