Monday, October 10, 2005

Weak link in the chain stores

I have lived a few blocks away from South Street for about 12 years. Of course I've been hanging out there even longer - I remember when they almost built an I-95 off ramp there in the 70's. I remember Grendels' Lair and Paper Moon and when the TLA was a movie theater (Saturday Matinees were great). Unlike most people I didn't care when chain stores started to move in. They probably saved the street. Can you imagine South St. with out Tower Records now? I even like the Starbucks (there is one at 9th now too, but I like the one at 4th) It was one of my favorite hangs when I was more unemployed. I would rather have a good chain store or restaurant than another jewelry / sneaker / cell phone store. There are still plenty of one of a kind places down there that survive and thrive. Copa, Ishkibibles, South St. Souvlaki, tattoo and piercing places and used record stores - all of them do very well. I was very surprised the other day to see that one of the major chains was shutting its South St. store and I can't figure it out. Come on, McDonalds is closing? It's actually a really cool McDonald's with a huge jungle mural on the side wall - it actually even fits in down there. This is a big tourist area that attracts a lot of kids and other of these obese fast food addicts we're always hearing about. How bad a businessperson do you have to be to fail at running a McDonalds franchise here? You should be printing money. All those kids in the long white t-shirts down there with a few bucks to spend - where the hell else are they going? I liked having the McDonalds there - you will be shocked to find out that I went there every once in a while - good sandwiches. Also, I am horrified that the 'Subway' store across the street is still open. There should be no Subway stores in Philadelphia where official hoagies can be had on almost every block. Jared and his awful commercials can go to hell. I'm wondering what will go in McDonalds' spot - may be just another fast food place. I really wouldn't mind a Wendy's.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home