Monday, October 24, 2005

Thirty-something

So it's my birthday tomorrow. Yes, I'll be thirty-seven years old (at least I think - lets see 2005 minus 1968 , carry the one, cross out the zero's - ok )
I really do forget how old I am sometimes- but I usually make myself older- if I'm going to be forgetfull I should at least do it to my advantage.
I guess I'm entering my late-thirties now with forty around the corner. Another year doesn't bother me too much - I generally don't feel or act that old. Some would say I don't act my age. I guess I'm showing some signs of "maturity." I don't tend to stay out late or drink too much anymore, but I'm not against it. And of course there's my very advanced hair line. I sometimes pretend not to like birthdays, but it's mostly an act. What could be so wrong with people taking you out to dinner and buying you gifts for no real reason but that you survived the past year.
Of course, the last year of my life hasn't been the most fun, but I've made it through and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that crap. Actually this birthday I can also celebrate having a good full time job again. I was officially hired as a regular employee after working almost two months at the Chemical Heritage Foundation. Good money and good benefits, my own office. I can't complain.

I have plans for lunch and dinner on my birthday tomorrow, thanks to my Mom and my great friends, but I'm free most of the week - if people want to take me to lunch or something I probably wouldn't turn it down. Really even just a beer. Oh and I'd really like that new Depeche Mode CD or the new Liz Phair.......


PS: Todd would want me to mention that October 25 is also St. Crispins' day - the occasion of a battle that only Todd has heard about. Something about the English and the French at Agincourt. I always thought Shakespeare made it up but apparently its real.

"...But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Henry V Act 4, sc. 3

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how perfect, you guys are ''a band of brothers''

but i venture to say that you have spilt more beer than blood

got your number, wow

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home