Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Tivo-envy??

No Tivo-envy is not the condition of wishing you could have Tivo but aren't wealthy or technologically savvy enough to get it. First of all, I made Tivo-envy up and I'm not sure that's what it should be called- it may not be not catchy enough. Actually I'm not even sure if someone else has thought up this concept- but if you have Tivo you will know what I mean. If you don't have Tivo you should get it (I don't watch commerials anymore - when someone asks me "did you see that commercial where......" I can say, no - I didn't. Are the Whassup guys still on the air? I do miss them.

OK so you're watching a show that Tivo has taped (Tivo'ed?) for you. Tivo automatically changes the channel to the correct one for your program. But you always see the last few seconds of the program on the previous channel as the channel slowly changes. Some times this few seconds looks really interesting and you wish that Tivo had stayed on that channel so you could see what happens next. Say Tivo changes in the middle of an action sequence climax or at the punchline of a joke - or - and this is the worst that could happen for the males out there- there is female nudity happening or about to happen and Tivo changes to record something you didn't even want! That is a nightmare. That's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. I'm thinking of calling it Tivo-gret, as in you regret that you didn't get to see the show on the last channel. What if it changes just when Montel is going to confront the cheating transgendered stripper with diabetes? I suppose it's like that other phenomenon that happens with ESPN when you are watching it to see the score of a specific game. They have the scores crawling along the bottom of the screen and it seems to be going deadly slow. They are telling you who the pitchers were and who got a hit and what the manager had for dinner, but they aren't getting to your score. Then, when your score has to be next and even starts to pop up on the screen and they cut to commercial and stop the crawl dammit. And of course when they come back from commercial they don't pick up where they left off, they start again with NASCAR and golf results. They never do get to your score. I don't have a word for that either but I'll think of one. ESPNvy maybe?

1 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Owen said...

AbbyOutReach is right as usual "Tivo-remorse is probably the correct term. G

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home