Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Alumni association

Last night I went back to see a Philadelphia Orchestra concert for only the second time since I left their employ. Of course I got free tickets, and the Halloween concert is usually fun even if it is light-weight musically. Really the main reason to go was for the meeting of the Orchestra Staff Alumni association-not that we planned it – it just turned out that way.

Melissa Lohmann called me Sunday night (during the Eagles – Broncos game which I was more than happy to miss) to ask if I wanted to go to the concert. She was in town to go to the wedding of another Alum, Rebecca. Rebecca is another one of those women who I wished there could have been more between us. I have a long list, but I did have a particularly strong crush on Rebecca. I probably became friendly with Melissa because I was always over near their desks trying to talk to Rebecca. Melissa was usually more willing to talk to me and almost always in a good mood.

Melissa left the orchestra and moved back out to California about two years ago. She always seemed like a California girl to me anyway so it made sense. She is a pretty blonde who is usually described as “really nice, a total sweetheart” - In her case it’s actually true. I even asked her once if she go sick of people saying how nice she is all the time (of course not).

I would go any where with Melissa, but she sealed the deal when she mentioned that Sarah Friedman was also coming. Yes, Sarah is yet another Orchestra Staff Almumna. She is still in the Orchestra game- doing fundraising for the Delaware Symphony. Sarah and Melissa are direct opposites in many ways. Sarah is not usually described as nice, but she really is. I promise. She is very direct and usually quite assertive. Her maturity has always impressed me considering she isn't even twenty-eight yet. I like both of them, and of course they are friends despite their differences.

I didn't wear a costume when I went to meet Sarah, Melissa and her friend Kate at the concert. I usually like to come up with some sort of costume ( the Orchestra members and much of the audience all get dressed up) but this time I figured I was going to be with three beautiful fascinating women- I wanted everyone to recognize me.

I ran into Sarah first so we had a while to chat while waiting for the others. Of course there were many Orchestra staffers around, some who I didn't particularly need to see, but most of them were happy to see me and very happy that I had a good new job. I got to see a few more of the women I always "flirted" with as I made my rounds of the office way back when.

Sarah and I also ran into another more recent alumna as we waited. I had hoped I would see her there last night because Halloween was always one of her favorite concerts. She was cleverly incognito wearing a gypsy veil as to hide from the staffers she didn't want to see. I won't blow her cover. She was doing the right thing for a former staff member and planning to sneak into the concert. Badass.

Melissa and Kate showed up just in time for us to make it in for the start of the concert. I won't go into too much detail about the concert although it was quite good. It was hosted by the third (?) straight year by Carlotta Tendant a very hairy and funny local transvestite. It turns out that next year the Orchestra will not do a Halloween show, but will turn over the date to their new partners the Philly Pops. So it was the end of an era and the Orchestra played beautifully despite all the distractions. Many of the pieces they played were a part of their basic "scary" repetoire, including Mussorgsky "Night on Bald Mountain" and the Suite from Stravinsky's Firebird. Sarah and I both noticed how well all the pieces featured the full orchestra, not just the famous violins.

The meeting of the Alumni association ended after the concert over at COPA Too over a pitcher of Margaritas. We reminisced about the old days and what we are up to today. Just the easy conversation of old friends getting together after a year or two.

Going to a concert, getting lost in the music and having a drink with my friends were always my favorite things about working at the Orchestra. Thankfully I still have those things without the frustration of actually having to work there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Owen said...

How do you know those are the correct last names?? The sets for the opera sound fascinating. I don't know what the problem is - did you want more furniture?? PS: Did they show yuo the famous bottomless pit backstage at the Academy??

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home