Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Score

Of course the real spirit of the holiday season is about being with family and acknowledging long ago miracles that still inspire us. But we all know its really about what gifts we get- especially when in comes to shallow people like me who put their gift list on their blog. So now as a public service for the few of you who did not get me anything on the list (and you know who you are) here is what I did and did not get (yet).

My sister Abby, who is the pretty, smart and efficient one, got me three of the 11 items on my list and she didn't let her husband give me his old I-pod speakers so he could get new ones. Tally: Star Wars DVD, Hodgman and Feinstein books.

My Dad fell for the idea that the electric toothbrush would be a practical gift and he actually got me that. Way to take a hint, Dad. It has improved my brushing exponentially I'm sure. I hope my Dental Hygenist will be pleased- but I'll bet they'll still tell me to floss more. Dad and Susan also got me a shirt from LL Bean- it can be worn both casually and to work. Now the impractical thing they got me was also one of the coolest- a traveling cigar humidor and three good cigars. The humidor is a black plastic that looks like it would block gunshots. I'll be able to bring back cigars from even the most dangerous countries. Tally (2 of 11 - running total 5 of eleven)

Alex and Melissa had to be more creative and not follow instructions. They actually did give me a corduroy shirt that is a great color for me (kind of a dijon mustard) and it did come in an LL Bean box, but I don't know if its an LL Bean shirt. Our family is notorius for saving old boxes just for this purpose. They also got me the "Black Book" a bestseller about Pick-up-Artists and their methods and lives. I'm not sure why they gave me this- why I could have written it. Tally (1 (maybe) of 11 running total 6 of eleven)

Now Mom is notorious for creative gifts. We can almost always expect a wealth of items from the dollar store mixed in with our bigger gifts. This year: crayons, chap stick, a tambourine and some clay. Also this year a cookbook written by a friend and former co-worker who went on to work for Martha Stewart- very nice. But so far - nothing from the "list". The last thing she gave me to open was an electric keyboard "survival kit"- a box with earphones, a power adapter and learing software. What is this? Do I go buy my own keyboard now? One of the gifts I predicted no one would get me??
"Just go look under my coat" Mom said motioning over to the rack. There it was - a way cool Yamaha Electronic piano just like I wanted. But just calling it a piano would be selling it way short because it can play almost any instrument you can name. Also drums and sound effects. I felt just like a kid on Christmas afternoon / first night of Hannukah. Total tally Seven of eleven items on my list (about 63% if you're wondering)

Still availible to purchase - The Eagles Encyclopedia, The Harry Potter half blood prince book, and an I-pod speaker system. I already bought my self the Wilco CD (yes - it is great) Now about that X-Box - maybe if you just let me borrow yours for a while I'll get bored with it and I won't need one anymore. Come on just for a few weeks.

Oh, I also gave some nice gifts too- most of which probably won't be returned. (Sorry Abby -yours are on the way).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home