Monday, November 28, 2005

Greg's Gift Ideas

No this isn't a list of things I recommend you buy for your loved ones, friends and co-workers- its stuff I recommend you buy for me. Yes it's that time of year again. Christmas and Hannukah. I do get to celebrate both due to my extended family. This year Chanukah starts on the day after Christmas so its even more combined- ChristmasaKah or HanukaMas, if you will. Some people ask why I celebrate Christmas when I grew up with only Hannhucha. Well, any holiday where people want to make me a great dinner and give me gifts is OK with me. Kwanzaa also starts the day after Xmas this year if you want to give me something for that. Thanks to Todd for this great idea.

1. Eagles Encyclopedia - By Ray Didinger and some other guy. A compendium of the team's history going all the way back. Has the added advantage of not including this year!

2. WILCO Live in Chicago Kicking Television (CD) - I saw Wilco on tour last summer (Thanks for reminding me Alicia). They were incredible and really expanded on their songs live. Certain songs I never quite liked on the Ghost is Born CD are now favorites after hearing them live. Jeff Tweedy is actually funny and personable too- go figure.

3. An electric toothbrush - These have always seemed kind of cool to me. I think my Dad mentioned he has a brand he loves- so maybe this is a suggestion for him. He'll like it cause its a practical gift.

4. Next Man Up - By John Feinstein This is a book about a season Feinstein spent behind the scenes with the Baltimore Ravens. He had access to everything- locker room, coaches meetings. I find this kind of stuff fascinating and I want to see just how crazy Brian Billick really is.

5. Stuff from LL Bean - Can hardly go wrong there. Of course I love no iron shirts with buttondown collars, but a nice plaid or corduroy shirt would be nice too. Something to wear when I get to go camping (hint, hint)

6. Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith (DVD Widescreen edition) -
I love Star Wars and I have all the other DVD's so I must complete the collection. It's an epic story that you can understand without reading four other books on the subject. Just what the Popculture snob ordered.

7. Areas of my Expertise - By John Hodgman I saw this on the Daily Show and it sounds great. Kind of a history book / trivia book / almanac that liberally mixes fact with fiction. More fake history in the wake of America: The Book last year.

8. One of those cool speaker systems for my Ipod. Really - they're not all that expensive. Why I saw one at this web site http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/7d27 that is both cool and reasonable. I'm sure its available at other sites too.

9. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - I have not read this one yet so don't tell me anyting about it dammit. I usually wait and get the paperback, but I've read all the other books and I'm impatient.

Stuff no one will get for me:

10. A Piano - Just one of those electronic ones with all the sounds and instruments, not a baby grand or anything (I don't have the room) I'd like to learn to play - a chance I had when I was about 12- although I don't think my hands have gotten much bigger since then.

11. Xbox 360 - What gift list would be complete without it this year? I'd like to have the Madden NFL 2006 game to go with it because its the only way you'll get to see Donovan McNabb throwing TD's to TO this year (or ever again). Come on...all my friends have them- actually they have lesser systems - thats why I need this one. Isn't that what Christmasakuh is all about?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What no kitchen gadgets, art supplies, pourourri, board games, puzzles or cocoa????

wow

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what no kitchen gadgets, board games, jig saw puzzles or poupourri?????
wow

12:52 PM  
Blogger Gregory Owen said...

That's why you are my favorite sister!

G

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home