Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Bands you don't remember

Last Friday Pete called me up after work to tell me about a band he and Jen were going to see. Now this is unusual to begin with as none of us goes to see bands too much. My last two concerts: The Philadelphia Orchestra and Wilco (not on the same bill). Pete knows the drummer in the band - the younger brother of a college friend. They sounded like a lot of fun - very Pop oriented and melodic Rock n' Roll with FOUR "girl" singers- called "Tralala" The concert was at the First Unitarian Church at 22nd & Chestnut. I've been reading about this venue for years - its actually in an upstairs room at the church. They book very obscure indie bands and usually have all ages shows. There is no alcohol served of course (gods' house you know) and the room is nortoriously packed and sweaty.

I met Pete and Jen on the steps of the church and (I kid you not) they offered me a bottle in a bag which they claimed was a "40". I declined to have any and I think it was really iced tea and they were trying to look cool. Pete was aghast that most of the very young crowd waiting around to get in was drinking coffee of all things. I reminded him that most of the kids were under 21 - probably mostly highschoolers. Anyway I hear most of those kids skip the alcohol and go for Red Bull and X. It turns out that there had been some sort of booking conflict and the bands wouldn't be playing in the small hot, room, but in the main sanctuary - yes a literal church of Rock n' Roll. Actually this was probably better for me, being an old geezer in the crowd. It wasn't too hot in there and we had very comfortable seats in the pews. Not so great for dancing though and that was too bad because Tralala is very dance friendly. They played very catchy tunes with great vocal harmonies from the Girl singers. Unfortunately you couldn't make out most of the words because of the music mix in the unforgiving acoustics of the church. Rock n' Roll is not church music. The sound difficulties didn't hurt the show too much - every song was fun and the band obviously has a good time. Apparently they're used to playing clubs and drinking (a lot) during their sets. That I have to see.

The whole time listening to the band I couldn't help but compare them to a favorite band of mine from the late 80's early 90's Voice of the Beehive.
They also had female singers, a male backing band and a definite pop, melodic feel. They also had great lyrics - much sharper than most pop music. Stuff about drowning your sorrows in alcohol, bad boyfriends and break-ups.

".....That's why I sometimes sit alone at parties /
That's why I drink so I'll be who they think I am /
But don't say nothing, don't talk to no one
i'm not what they believe and if they
find out they will leave..."

"I say Nothing" from Let it Bee

Voice of the Beehive had a minor hit in about 1991 called Monsters and Angels. A nice song but of course not their best. They were introduced to me by a woman I worked with in DC. Jenny was the cool girl who you could always call with a nagging music question. This was pre-internet so you couldn't look everything up so easily. I would sometimes call her up just to annoy her and ask if it was Journey or Foreigner that sang "Double Vision" She would yell at me for putting the song in her head all afternoon. I still remember her hatred of the catchy 80's tune What I like about You by the Romantics. I guess it was overplayed.

After the very enjoyable but short set (there were two other bands we were going to skip) I went with Pete and Jen to meet his drummer friend.
Pete said he ran a record store also, so I was confident he would be impressed that I knew a band that was obviously a great influence on their music.
Me: "Your sound really reminds me of Voice of the Beehive - I mean right down to the vocal harmonies..."
Drummer: "Who are they? Voice of the What?"

Who are they? You might as well be a tribute band for them. You could do most of their songs in your set and no one could tell the difference. So I told him a little about the band. I hope he checks them out- I'll bet he doesn't though. I'd like to see "Tralala" again though- I hope they come back to town soon.

It turns out that no one else remembers Voice of the Beehive either. Nobody I've mentioned this to has had any memory of them. I swear they were great. I had to go home and listen to their CD's again to convince myself I wasn't making it up. Of course their best stuff is from 1988- that's a whole teenager ago. OK now does any one remember the Cult? Heavy metal band had a few good albums back when I was in college??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home