Monday, November 21, 2005

Car Accidents

The old saying is true, as most old sayings are. “It was like a horrible car accident, but I couldn’t look away” Everyone knows that’s why traffic back ups take so long to clear – the worse the accident the slower everyone goes by to see what’s happening. God forbid something is on fire. Its going to be a very long wait. This year a few of my former favorites on TV have become proverbial accidents.

The Eagles have been setting themselves on fire for at least a month- probably all the way back to training camp. They have made very few right decisions on the field or off. The loss to Dallas last Monday was as depressing and frustrating as any I can remember. Much worse than the whipping Dallas gave them earlier in the year. A loss like that can effect the whole season. The players can’t really forget it no matter what they say. With the Eagles just about eliminated from the playoffs and their two best offensive players (McNabb and Owens) out for the year what more is there to watch? By now we can almost root for them to get a good draft pick. But I’m sure I’ll be there watching them right up till the end of the season. I don’t know why – I guess I feel it’s my duty as a fan to watch them when they are bad so I can enjoy them when they are good. I suppose if I had something better to do during a game now I can just “Tivo” it and watch it later. Now the games become just an excuse to drink a few beers and have a few sandwiches. Not the nervous, edge of your seat thrill rides and dominant performances we have been treated to over the last few years.

Saturday Night Live has become another TIVO standard because long sections of it must be fast fowarded. Now I know the shows' death has been predicted dozens of times and it has always pulled through. This time I don’t know if its worth it. Maybe you have to be tired and up late on Saturday night to enjoy it. Just about nothing on the show works anymore and some of it is just painful. Weekend Update has usually been a high point of the show even in down years. This year they are being demolished by The Daily Show on a regular basis. Their political jokes seem trite and less intelligent (and less funny) than John Stewart & co. come up with everyday. I really like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler - I just wish they could do better.

The skits are often very repetitive. How about the one where friends go to a funeral and they all die one by one day after day on the way home from the previous day’s funeral? This was worst than most real funerals I’ve been to. They also have some new repetitive characters that have not quite reached "Church Lady" status yet. I'll bet you haven't heard talk around the water cooler about "The couple that should be Divorced" or "The Falconer" Just pathetic. It makes you want them to bring back the "makin' the copies guy"

I haven't liked the musical guests lately either- but as I get older I'm sure that will always be the case. They book the hot new bands with actual albums out - not the 30 year old bands I like.

I think they still do a good job with the commercial parodies. These are filmed in advance and I'll bet they have more time to write and rehearse them and it really shows. They should have some more animation from Rob Smigel too, if he will lower himself to their level again.

I actually really like the women on the show lately. Saturday Nights' breakout stars have almost all been men, but I think the most talented performers now are the women. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Rachel Dratch- they are now the heart of the show. All sexy in their own ways too- even after having babies.

I'll probably keep watching the Eagles and Saturday Night Live out of habit and my fascination with what could go wrong next. I guess with both of them I'll have to wait for next season for something fun to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home