Sunday, December 11, 2005

December Party

I am not offended by Christmas. Just thought I'd get that out there. Some of the music I can do with out - both popular and Classical xmas music is way overplayed. I hear there are two radio stations here in Philadelphia that start playing ONLY xmas music at about Thanksgiving. Shouldn't that be a part of the UN ban on torture?

It is a holiday celebrated by more than 80% of the US population whether they are religious Christians or not. It is generally a lot of fun and very important for the world economy.

A few years ago a much noticed trend emerged that many non-xmas celebrators were apparently upset by Christmas. So now we have "Holiday" parties at work. And people worry if a decorative wreath or Christmas ornaments will hurt someones' feelings. I never remember Jewish friends or relatives complaining about Christmas and what you call the annual party at the office, but somehow it all got mixed up in the political correctness movement. I was offended when an aunt of mine converted to Judaism and stopped making her amazing Egg Nog at the "Annual" party. She is of course now a much more observant Jew than I am.

We had a Holiday party at my workplace the other evening and it was one of the best I've ever been to. There was a cocktail reception with hors d'oeuvres, a very nice sit-down dinner and then dancing. It was at a local Hotel which has of course decked its' halls in Holiday lights and verdant evergreens. It looked great and I don't think that anyone minded that there weren't fake menorahs too. I'm pretty sure the DJ was Jewish, because I think I've heard him at every Wedding and Bar-Mitzvah I've ever been to. I was surprised about how many of the staff got up to dance immediately. Sometimes people are shy to get up to dance, especially at work. I know I am. I didn't dance until the last song of the night when a coworker dragged me out to the floor. Well, she really didn't have to drag me I was more than happy to get out there - especially since she knew how to dance and could make me look good.

Being a traditional "December Office Party" there was some drinking, and dancing with other peoples' wives/husbands/girlfriends and boyfriends -but I don't think anyone went really overboard. That might have made for a better blog post, though. I had a great time talking to co-workers about stuff besides expense reports and invoices. I was hopping from table to table- talking with a variety of co-workers and their spouses / significant others. Even though I'm pretty new most people know me because I do the payroll and Accounts payable (and my office is near the mailboxes). I hope there are many more chances to go out with my co-workers- no matter what the occasion is or what we say it is- I don't need much of an excuse.

Now, let me tell you what I think of Christmas trees........

1 Comments:

Blogger Reflect4Him said...

This year Christmas was way too much for me, even if I am a Christian. The craziness of run here and there, the over-marketing of the season and the repetitive playing of endless Christmas carols beginning before Thanksgiving has even come have made me sick of the whole thing.

I think next year I may reshape this tradition for my family into something more sane. Not sure what shape it will take, but I want off this merry-go-round. :-)

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home