Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The XL Game

(Note - This post mysteriously disappeared for a few days after being posted. Thanks to several astute readers for pointing this out. I'm sure the same NFL conspiracy that let the Steelers win the SB is responsible for removing it. So read it now before its gone again - G)

Everyone who isn't hiding in a cave with Osama Bin Laden knows what the "Big Game" is this weekend. Super Bowl XL- with the double meaning of forty in roman numerals and extra-large. Of course the bowl has been been extra large for quite a while now. It is a defacto national holiday. The TV ratings and pre and post game analysis of it will dwarf that of the presidents' State of the Union address this last week. The NFL doesn't even like most people to call it the Super Bowl because they sell the name and there is an offical everything of the game. That's why you hear ads (and blogs) refering coyly to "the big game Sunday." As in "Get a big screen TV and have it delivered for the Big Game Sunday." Would it really hurt the revenue of the NFL to let people mention the SB with out fear of reprisal?

I haven't been all that excited about the XL game this year. Of course it could be because my team was in it last year and couldn't even make the playoffs this time. I always try to avoid all the pre-game hype that goes on for two weeks. Although I love all the media covering the story of how many people are there to cover the game. It seems that the biggest story in the run up to this SB is still Donovan McNabb and Terrel Owens. Somehow TO has managed to keep his mouth shut this time and let McNabb set fire to himself. Maybe this will finally stop all those Campbell soup commercials with Donovans' mother and all his fellow injured teammates who stopped playing ball two months ago.

I guess the true reason I'm not all that hyped up is that I don't hate either of the teams. The Eagles don't have a long and bitter history against either team, I don't hate either of the coaches, there aren't any players who I want to see injured. If the Cowboys or the Raiders were in the game my choice would be easy- the other guys. I will root for the Steelers since they are a Pennsylvania team and they seem like nice guys- I don't love that one guy's hair, but he is a great player. I won't be upset if either team loses or wins. I don't have any bets on the game. I do feel its my duty as an American and a football fan to watch the game and hope for a classic contest. I also felt it was my duty as an American to not watch a second of the State of the Union address. In any case please enjoy the giant sporting contest Sunday at 6:30 on ABC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home